In an ideal world, the answer would be "yes". And the answer would be "yes" if we were talking about any other media, like anime and movies. But this is about VTubers, where constant hours of stream content come in from hundreds of them. That in itself is a difficult thing to do especially if you don't speak the original language of the VTuber and you want to connect with them as soon as something happens. So yeah, it's okay to watch speedsubbers as long as you're careful. Anyone's channel is fine as long as their heart and mind are in the right place. The last thing I would want is for you to be constantly worried about "Oh, should I still be watching from this channel or not? What about other channels?"; I want you to be comfortable with the choices that you make in terms of which clips to watch.
Whatever you're doing, just keep doing what you're doing to support and spread the word about VTubers. Just look out for the dangerous things and the bad track records that a few sub channels have. Take all translations with a grain of salt. Note that translations are mere interpretations of the original material that have been created by someone else, and not the actual words that a VTuber said. So for especially sensitive contexts, please try to check multiple sources and subbers if they are available.
Good VTuber Subs was created with the intent to make you aware that there are better alternatives out there in comparison to what the YouTube algorithm wants to feed you in terms of translation quality, quality checking, morality, ethics, and probably clipping choice. This place also aims to assist in helping you know more about subs and translations.
The best thing that you can do as you watch subbed VTuber clips on YouTube, no matter who the subber is, is to:
- Call out subber channels that harm the VTuber and their channel, this includes subbers who
- Make full length stream translations and reupload them on their channel (as YouTube could consider that sub as the original video and take down the actual stream by the VTuber, and this is also a violation of Cover Corp's clipping guidelines (which should be the standard across all VTubers anyway)) (Also, they're sus because why didn't they just submit the CC to the VTuber anyway?)
- Misrepresent what the talents say and making them say things they didn't mean through inaccurate "translation"
- Completely monetize off VTubers' content to the point where the translations are made for a quick buck rather than for the appreciation of the VTubers themselves
- If you are watching speedsubbers, at least pick some good ones, and not ones that have a very bad track record. Don't forget to take their translations with a grain of salt.
- Point out translation mistakes and errors, as this helps the translator themselves learn and improve.
- Stop treating translators' words as gospel; they're not. They're just interpretations of the original speech or text. A secondary source, so to speak. If you really want to know the complete truth of what a VTuber said, then you have to be a good speaker of whatever language the VTuber speaks in, or at the very least, check multiple subbers' interpretations.
- Stop treating translators as gods. Human error is very much a thing, and translating is as much as a professional job as any other. Translators deserve respect. But if a translator is suspicious, you can't just outright pretend as if nothing happened and let them off the hook.
- Just increase your standards in general. Being a Japanese or English native does not constitute experience in translation, as it is an entirely different skill from language learning.
- Support professional translators. Because these pro translators take extra time to have their subs quality-checked and to learn more about the context of what the VTuber said, their upload schedule may not be up to par with YouTube's algorithm, and as a result never get recommended on your homepage. Share their clips with your friends or on Facebook pages or on Twitter or your Discord servers.
- Actually, just watch the clips and see for yourself. I know you're probably tired from the same old type of content that speedsubbers typically clip. There's a side of your favorite VTuber that professional subbers clip that you haven't seen yet; a side that will make you wholeheartedly appreciate your favorite VTuber even more.